12 tricks to use on your next indoor painting job
Bob Vila’s Top 12 Painting Tips
If you want to paint like a pro, heed these little-known painting tips.
1. One trick to determine whether you have the right primer is to put a coat on and let it dry, then take a razor blade and very lightly mark an X in the paint. Put duct tape over the X and then pull back. If the paint sticks, you’ve made a good choice.
2. Add the top coat within 24 hours after the primer dries. That’s when the surface is stickiest.
3. Remove painter’s tape 2-3 hours after you’ve completed your final coat. If you leave tape on for too long, it can remove some fresh paint with it.
4. Always assume the job will require two coats; primer counts as one. A single coat won’t give the full sheen or be as washable.
5. Keep in mind that a flat finish won’t cover a high-gloss finish unless you sand the wall lightly or use a de-glosser first. Likewise, latex paint shouldn’t cover oil-base paint unless the surface has been primed correctly.
6. Resist the temptation to go over an area that is drying as you’ll only create brush marks.
7. Don’t skimp on paint. A gallon should cover 350-400 square feet.
8. Be prepared to use an extra coat of paint to even out the effects of a dark-colored paint.
9. Tint your primer to the color of your top coat for better coverage.
10. Don’t oversaturate. If paint drips from a roller, you have too much. Likewise, only dip the first third of your brush’s bristles into paint and tap the brush lightly side-to-side inside the can to remove excess paint.
11. Avoid cleaning latex brushes in a sink that drains into a septic tank. The latex residue can cause issues.
12. Put brushes in a plastic zippered bag when you take a break so they won’t dry out. You can even freeze them for longer storage.
Carpet Cleaning & Rug Cleaning in Irving
At Miracle Steam we understand that the purchase of carpet for your home or office is a long-term investment. We know that finding reliable Carpet cleaning in Irving TX can be a challenge. That is why we focus on not only getting your business the 1st time, but every time you need your carpets cleaned. We also feel that it is our job to help you maximize your return on that investment.
Carpet Re-stretching and Repair
What do you do when normal wear and tear begins to take its toll on your carpet, or occasional accidents cause damage to face yarns or backings? Book an appointment today so we can examine the damage and come up an effective repair plan.
Tile & Grout Cleaning in Irving
Miracle steam provides tile and grout cleaning in Dallas. If you have dirty grout and tile in your foyer, kitchen, bath room, or hallway, we will clean your grout and tile to look like new.
Air Duct Cleaning in Irving
In the last ten years, the number of cases of allergies, asthma and lung disease has increased 72% due to poor indoor air quality, according to the American Lung Association. Book an appointment today!
Upholstery Cleaning in Irving
We provide upholstery cleaning anywhere in Dallas. Let us use our professional steam cleaning to make your sofa, chairs, and mattresses look like new.